Här har man tagit upp sunni bevis att man ska ha sina armar vid sidan, som shiiterna har, när man är sunni.
Here are some highlights from this lecture by shaykh Hamza Yusuf that I noted…
* Whereas 30 years ago all Maliki countries used to do sadl, now it is changing to qabd
* Imam ‘Ali did sadl, al-Hasan did sadl, Ja’far al-Sadiq did sadl. Musa al-Kazim, Muhammad al-Baqir (did sadl).
* the Khawarij and the Shi’a practiced sadl, so it became a political symbol in salat, and hence a need was felt to differentiate.
* al-Shawkani, who was against sadl, was a convert from Zaydism (when he used to practice sadl).
* None of the sunni madhahib consider sadl as disallowed or even makrooh
* Iraqi Maliki’s like Abu Bakr al-Baqillani considered it prohibited to do qabd
* Abdullah b. Zubayr did sadl.
* al-Hasan al-Basri, a student of Imam ‘Ali, did sadl.
* al-Nakha’i, student of Ibn ‘Abbas, did sadl.
* Tawus [b. Kaysan] did sadl.
* Sa’id b. Jubayr did sadl.
* Sa’id b. al-Musayyab, his marasil are accepted. he did sadl.
* Imam al-Hasan b. ‘Ali was asked about sadl, he confirm that it was part of the prayer of the Messenger (s).
* The reason why shaykh Hamza Yusuf is adamant about sadl is that it is trying to keep a sunnah alive that others in the sunni world are adamant to eliminate.
* King Hassan of Morocco started doing qabd, he loved hadith, and since then people started to follow him. ”People follow the religion of their kings”.
* The Salafi inspired shabab in Morocco consider the Maliki positions on various matters, including sadl, as bid’a.